Ten Things Ee’re Missing Without Caps Hockey
10. The inevitable debut of ‘Drum Guy’ at Caps games. Watching all these European games, it seems like every game is filled with a pounding drum and chanting. If that happens, I volunteer to become washboard guy. We’ll start a band! Now all we need is a harmonica guy.
9. The chemistry between Mike Ribero and his 2nd line wingers, although I’m still not 100% sure who they are though. This would be easier if Semin was still here… the chemistry would be great once every 5 games when Good Sasha made an appearance.
8. Classic uniforms. Sure, most of them belong to other teams, but if the lockout proves anything, it’s that the NHL simply cannot start putting ads on jerseys. There are some great, classic sweaters in the NHL. Can you say the same about any European team? “Ooh, that MODO jersey is sweet, especially with the new Holmen ad on the stripe!”
7. Lighter wallets. Without Caps hockey, we’re saving money on Metro fares, t-shirts and jerseys, eating and drinking before games. We’re also not shelling out for NHL Center Ice or pay-to-play fantasy hockey. Of course, you’re probably drinking more at home watching Property Brothers on HGTV…
6. Those fans that turn on the drop of a hat. You know that Caps fan who is screaming ‘OVIIIII!!!!!YEEEEAAAAHHH!!!!!” at the top of his lungs one minute and loudly swearing about ‘that has-been bum Stinkvechkin’ the next. Man, I miss that guy. I wonder if Dynamo has fans like that…
5. Counting the Knuble, Halpern, Semin, Aucoin, Wideman, Eakin and Vokoun jerseys lingering on backs Verizon Center. I’m kidding… no one ever bought a Wideman jersey.
4. Holding that shiny new Season Ticket Holder Card. You know, the one with ALL your tickets on it. It’s not like Caps fans go to bars, drink too much and lose their wallets in downtown DC all the time or anything. What’s the replacement fee for one of those cards? I’ll probably need 4 over the course of a season.
3. Coach Oates. There’s just something about Adam Oates that brings out some great Caps memories. Add in Calle Johansson, and the love-fest is on. The Caps should hire Esa Tikkanen as an assistant just to temper the optimism.
2. Reading an article a day about how Alex Ovechkin is either totally washed up or back to his old, showy goal scoring ways, depending on how he’s playing in any given game. How exactly can someone look like he’ll score 110 goals and then look like he died two years ago in successive games? I mean, besides Alex Semin…
1. Slapshot dancing Gangnam Style. You know it’s going to happen. Teddy will probably show up. You’ll want to throw things. You will throw things. They’ll deserve it.