In case you couldn’t keep up with today’s tweeting frenzy from the Washington Capitals’ practice, we here at Rock the Red have consolidated this mornings’ notes on injuries, line changes, and new faces in new places. While we were not there, we would like to acknowledge the reporters who provide us with great updates on a daily basis: John Walton, Katie Carrera, Sky Kerstein, and Mike Vogel.
- During last night’s shoot out in Toronto, Braden Holtby suffered a lower body injury and is listed week-to-week. Jared DeMichiel has been recalled from the South Carolina Stingrays, and will join the team in Cleveland tonight.
- Also joining the Bears in Cleveland will be Dmitri Orlov, who practiced with the Capitals this morning. Orlov, who signed with Hershey earlier in the week, was unable to join the Bears in Canada last night due to Visa issues. Per Bruce Boudreau, he was asked to practice so he wasn’t “losing his marbles” without any Russian-speaking teammates. He is unable to play for the Capitals, since he has not signed an NHL contract yet.
- Except for Mike Green, Eric Fehr, and Tom Poti, the team practiced as a whole today. Green is currently under the weather with a cold & stomach virus, but Boudreau expects him to play tomorrow unless his symptoms get worse. Prior to practice, Fehr skated on his own but Boudreau mentioned he, and Poti, are “still a ways away” with a timeline for F16 at “a week or two away.” Poti is expected to take to the ice tomorrow for a light skate.
- In other injury news, Nick Backstrom practiced in full today, and is expected to play tomorrow. He did not wear any splinting on his broken thumb, and is quoted as saying the fracture doesn’t bother him much.
- This morning’s lines: Ovechkin-Backstrom/Johansson-Knuble, Laich-Perreault-Semin, Chimera-Gordon-Hendricks, King-Steckel-Bradley.
- Michal Neuvirth will get the nod against the Rangers.