The morning skating sessions of the Caps’ Dev Camp at Kettler IcePlex were puck-less, and consisted solely of speed drills and maneuverability tests. Players were timed blue line to blue line, assessed through S-curve navigation test, and evaluated during a mini-herbie that had players run out and back a few times. Several players were impressive, however none was as impressive as the Capitals’ scientific ‘bucket-pour’ to prepare the ice during the slalom.
- Cameron Burt is a fast, fast man. Very smooth, very speedy.
- Joe Finley moved through every drill with a smile, and was eager to attack whatever he was asked of. Even if that was a dasherboard at full speed during the agility test.
- Trevor Bruess looked like he was trying hard, but fell short of expectations.
- Dmitri Orlov seemed to be going through the motions, but not really focused on the task at hand. Might be his youth, might be the new rink, but he definitely wasn’t there.
- Anton Gustafsson seemed frustrated most of the drills. It was almost as if he wanted to do so well, but his injures past kept him from doing his best.