Oh, the dizzying highs and nauseating lows of a Capitals-Penguins game. The lows started early following stupid penalties and watching the Pens put 17 shots on goal in the first period. Emotions ran high when the Caps took the lead on a Mike Knuble slam dunk from behind Marc-Andre Fleury, only to see offensive superstar *cough* Maxime Talbot tie it up just over a minute later. The rollercoaster continued downward, when an improving PK corps failed and Bill Guerin was able to net a power play tally near the end of the second period. Following Alex Semin‘s wizardry that lead to a short-handed goal, and a beautiful tip in from Eric Fehr on a blast from Mike Green, the Capitals were leading 3-2 and the Verizon Center was a-rockin’. That is, until a blast from Jordan Staal happened, tying the contest and sending the game through overtime to the eventual shoot-out. After dipping to 0-2 in the shootout, Knuble was able to de-flower the flower with a SICK head fake nod twitch to pot the game winner after the Alex’s were able to convert on their chances. The Caps are now a mind-numbing 27-4-4 on home ice this season, Jose Theodore hasn’t lost in regulation in 19 starts (17-0-2), and the 108 points accumulated on the season ties a franchise record.
- Mike Knuble, yous a bad mama-jama. 3 games against the Penguins, 3 goals. And two game winners.
- I’m not sure who put the sandpaper on Shaone Morrisonn‘s toilet-seat, but he was fired up tonight. 9 hits, 1 headlock, 1 blocked shot, and a partridge in a pear tree. The extra ‘N’ must be for ‘not in my house’.
- Jose Theodore, I take back every bad thing I’ve ever said about you. I don’t know who changed your calendar to 2002, but let’s keep it there.
- Shots of Vodka? Good. Shots on net? Not so good. Every member of the Penguins roster but 1 was able to send some rubber to Theodore tonight. I know the Caps are 7-0-1 when their opposition has 40 or more SOG, but that’s still a bit more than my liking.
- Tom Poti. Delay of game. And that’s all I’m going to say about it.
- Someone, anyone, sit Jason Chimera down and teach the man an offensive move. A man with that speed, that muscle, and spending 1:15 on the power play needs SOMETHING to throw the opposing goalie off. Anything, really.
- I cringed when Ovechkin took the puck down 2-0 during the shootout. And be honest, you did too.
People like us enough to send pictures!
An homage to the one, the only, the Locker tribute sweater. (Picture by Krafty)
A picture of writer emeritus P_J_P‘s pre-game spread in the Dewar’s Club.
Sorry, Fleury. The magic is about to happen. (Picture by capscapscaps)
A picture is worth a thousand words. (Submitted by KDiS)
(and h/t to Japers Rink, from which somewhere in my clouded memory I believe I read “Knubl-ieve It” somewhere last off-season)