“I gave it to him, and it was nice”.
Tomas Fleischmann, on his assist to the deceptively speedy Jason Chimera in the second period, giving the Caps the lead for the first time, and opening the offensive floodgates on their way to a 9th straight home opener win.
Your Washington Capitals welcomed the New Jersey Devils to the Verizon Center for the season’s home opener, and didn’t disappoint. After a ‘meh’ game last night in Atlanta…this game had everything: short-handed goals, power-play goals, Mike Green dropping gloves, a goal on a penalty shot, blood & Tom Green Rocking the Red (finally!!!). Mayhaps they were a little insipired by the new Southeast Division Champ banner and President’s Trophy banners that Ted unveiled tonight.
This is the Caps team that was missing in the playoffs last year. A team with over-whelming depth on offense, and skill players for days. A team that can score at will. I expected it more against the Thrashers last night than I did against the Devils and slam-dunk HOF’er Martin Brodeur…but I’ll take it. Did you know he’s played in 1078 games? And spent the 3rd period on the bench (chased after Washington scored 4 goals on 8 shots).
Did you know they call NJ’s 1st line the “zip line”? Apparently they’re supposed to be fast. I’m supposed to be able to run SQL queries to find data needles in a forest of server haystacks (but that’s all hype too).
- Aggressive penalty kill skating, resulting in a 4-0 tally by the Caps tonight. Nice work by Brooks Laich and Nicklas Backstrom keeping the puck clear, and Flash hitting Chimera in stride on his way out of the box.
- Alex Semin intentionally assisting. Twice!
- Michal Neurvirth in net. Before the wind was comprehensively removed from the Devils’ sails…he kept the Caps in this game. Two nights, two solid performances.
- John Carlson’s defense: As comfortable as Captain American looked on offense, he was caught sleeping on both New Jersey goals (with his back turned to Arnott on Neuvy’s doorstep, and then flatfooted on Tallinder’s).
- Volchenkov taking a Backtrom slapshot to the face in HD slo-mo.